Evey’s Spanish Brown Rice (super easy!)
- A serving of cooked brown rice (usually 3/4 cup)
- A packet of Sazon Goya (any of their seasonings will do. I normally buy the Culantro Y Achiote or Cilantro Y Tomate flavor)
Sprinkle as much of the seasoning as you want over your brown rice. Mix to combine. Done! 🙂
Boiled Sweet Plantains
- Take a very ripe plantain (should be almost all black) and cut off the ends and make a length-wide slit on the banana skin.
- Boil the plantain without peeling in a saucepan or pot that uses enough water to cover the plantains over one or two inches.
- Boil for 15 to 20 minutes until the plantains are fork tender. You don’t want them mushy, but with a slightly hard center.
- Drain plantains in colander, let cool. Peel and enjoy!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 1/2 – 1/3 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal, optional
- drizzle of maple syrup, optional
- 1 tbsp of chopped walnuts, optional
- unsweetened shredded coconut, optional (for garnish)
- Prepare the oatmeal with 1/2 cup of nondairy milk to your liking (whether warm or Swiss style)
- Take mashed sweet potatoes and mix into oats. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add any other toppings or ingredients as you like and enjoy!
Walnut Date Truffles
Yields: 6-8 truffles
- 5 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 4 squares of a dark chocolate bar, chopped (I used Trader Joe’s brand 73% dark chocolate bar)
- Place chopped dates, walnuts, cinnamon, and agave nectar in a food processor and process for about 45 seconds or so, until the ingredients are finely chopped and begin to stick together.
- Roll the mixture into bite-size balls and set these on a baking sheet.
- Next, set up a double boiler using a bowl and saucepan. Make sure the bowl does not touch the water. Set over low heat and place chocolate in bowl, stirring it until it is all melted.
- Remove saucepan from heat when chocolate has melted. Then after it has cooled for a bit, remove the bowl from saucepan.
- Take your walnut date balls and roll them into the chocolate until it is completely coated. Place these on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and set in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Pop these in your mouth whenever you crave chocolate or a larabar. You get the best of both worlds with these amazing truffles!